THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sweet Pork Salad with Tomatillo Ranch


Tastes just like your favorite restaurants version! This recipe is a tad complicated, but if you love this salad, its totally worth it!


This recipe uses Tomatillos which I was skeptical of using at first, I only knew how to peel and wash them because of the food channel...

Here is what you need to know:

1- You can find them in any grocers produce section, very easy to find.
2- They have been called the "Mexican green tomato" but do not belong to the tomato family, they belong to the gooseberry family.
3- They have a casing, similar to a head of garlic, or the husk of a corn cob, that needs to be removed.
4- They need to be washed THOROUGHLY they are very "milky" and sticky on the outside.
5- They can last up to two weeks in the fridge unhusked, longer if cleaned, husked and stored in plastic bags, they can also be frozen.

This recipe also calls for Cotija cheese, this can be found next to the cream cheese in the cold case, I found mine at Smith's (where I find/buy all of my specialty cheeses)

You can also buy the crispy tortilla strips in the bakery part of your grocery store, once again I find mine at Smith's or make my own. (recipe below)

2-3 corn tortillas ( I prefer white corn)
Vegetable Oil or Canola Oil
sprinkled salt optional

stack tortillas, cut into 1/2in wide strips then cut into thirds
brush with oil, opt. salt
place under broiler set to low, watch carefully about 4 min, or until they start to get golden, NOT BROWN these will be burnt! Let cool, they will harden upon standing.